Updated - 23rd May 2018
The Ecology Centre (TEC) is committed to protecting your privacy online. We will never share your information and we promise to keep it safe and secure.
It’s our policy to ensure that we handle all personal information and records (data) we hold on individuals in accordance with the terms of the General Data Protection Regulation, 2018.
TEC follows the principles of ‘good information handling’. Information about living people, which is called ‘personal data’, must be:
- Processed in accordance with the data subject’s rights
- Processed for limited purposes
- Fairly and lawfully processed
- Adequate, relevant and not excessive
- Not kept longer than necessary
If you have any concerns about what data TEC holds about you:-
- You have the right to ask TEC to delete your personal data.
- You have the right to have any of your data updated if it’s incorrect or incomplete.
- You have the right to access the information TEC holds on you – you can do this by requesting a ‘subject access request’. This will be responded to within a month.
- You have the right to be informed about the information TEC holds on you.
- You have the right to change your communication preferences or restrict processing of your personal data.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to help with any of the above.
We use your data to provide membership services, including MailChimp newsletters and communications regarding relevant events. Members also have the right to vote at our Annual General Meetings (AGM).
The data we ask for when becoming a member includes:-
- First name, last name, postal address, category of membership, date of joining and leaving, telephone number and email address.
This data is held in a password protected Access database file and can only be accessed by authorised staff members. Email addresses are also held on our MailChimp account to enable us to circulate newsletter to contacts.
We can update or delete your data on request or on termination of membership. You can change your mind about being a member at any time by emailing email@example.com.
2. Mailing list subscribers
Anyone can sign up to receive our mailings that we issue via MailChimp. There are a number of ways individuals can do this, including:-
- Selecting the mailing list option when completing a New Volunteer Form
- Our website
- Selecting the mailing list option when completing an Eco Adventures - Additional Information form
We issue regular mailings about all the latest news and events at The Ecology Centre. The data we ask for in all of these methods is:-
- First name, last name and email address.
Data is held on our MailChimp account. Their servers are based in the US and they uphold the EU Privacy Shield to certify their data security. Data is also held in a password protected Excel spreadsheet that selected members of staff have access to. Information from the Volunteer Information Form is stored in an Access database file that is similarly password protected that selected members of staff have access to.
We will retain you on this mailing list unless you ask to be removed or need any amendment(s) to be made. You can also change your mind at any time about receiving these newsletters. Just follow the link at the bottom of the newsletters or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Event attendees
At The Ecology Centre we offer a number of paid and free events that people can come along to. When you sign up to attend any of our events we collect information about you. We may also take photos for documentation or to be used in our communications. In all our forms or display boards at events we ask for photo consent.
The information we ask for when booking to attend an event includes:-
- First name, last name, postal address, telephone number and email address.
Most of our events need to be booked through our website or Eventbrite. Both of these systems comply with GDPR. As a charity there are occasions where we need to report numbers of attendees at our events to our funders. In order to comply with this we keep your details for at least 12 months, after which they are destroyed.
If you join our team of volunteers we need to collect certain information about you – we do this via our New Volunteer Form. We also collect this data to provide our funders with information about events and activities. We may also take photos for documentation or to be used in our communications. In our New Volunteer Form we ask for photo consent. The information we ask for in this form includes:-
- Name, address, phone number, email address, date of birth, emergency contact details, existing medical conditions.
This information is stored on an Access database file, is password protected and can only be accessed by selected members of staff. Email addresses are also held on our MailChimp account to enable us to issue our newsletters to our volunteers about all the latest news and events.
This information is stored until you request an amendment or deletion, you can do this by emailing email@example.com.
5. Third party suppliers with access to members’ personal data
Data will not be given, lent or sold to any third party and specifically not to any commercial organisation intent on using that data for commercial purposes.
The Ecology Centre use a number of third party suppliers to provide services for us. These suppliers may process personal data on our behalf as “processors” and are subject to contractual conditions to only process that personal information under our instructions and to protect it.
In the event that we share personal information with external third parties, we only share such information strictly required for the specific purposes and take reasonable steps to ensure recipients shall only process the disclosed personal information in accordance with those purposes. Our third party suppliers include:
Stripe process payment transactions securely on our behalf.
MTC host our website.
Please note a number of other people’s websites have links on our website. If you link to their sites, they may collect information. Such sites are not within our control and are not covered by this privacy statement.